(McWilliams) Ch. 1-3
Diagnosis can benefit the following aspects when pursued with sensitivity and with adequate training:
- treatment plans
- enabling therapists to empathize
- protecting patients
- preventing patients from fleeing from treatments
McWilliams argues that faster gathering of information is better than simply (passively?) allowing the relationship to develop. I wonder whether this applies to everyone.
Psychoanalytic Diagnosis is different from Descriptive Psychiatric Diagnosis
- DSM lacks implicit definition of mental health and emotional wellness.
- DSM’s validity and reliability ????
- DSM, really a “medical model?”
- too much pharmaceutical companies’ influence…
- categorical diagnosis can cause self-estrangement!
Character Diagnosis: Major clinical paradigms within psychoanalysis
- Freud: drive theory- basis of fixation (At what early maturation phase is this person psychologically STUCK?)
- Ego Psychology- Defenses (How does this person typically avoid anxiety?–in conflict with drive theory.)
- Object relations traditions
- Jung- archetypes
- Murray- personology
- Tomkins- script theory
- Silberschatz- control-mastery theory
- recent- attachment research, cognitive and affective neuroscience, …
HUMILITY, APPRECIATION OF AMBIGUITY AND COMPLEXITY needed! (Goldberg)
Developmental Levels of Personality Organization
- level of character psychopathology?
- Kraepelin: Neurosis v Psychosis
- Ego Psychology: Symptom Neurosis, Neurotic Character, Psychosis
- Object Relations: The Delineation of Borderline Conditions
- Neurotic-Borderline-Psychotic Spectrum…